Monday, December 19, 2011

Greek honey cookies- Joanna's Melomakarona


I can still smell the honey while I write this post! I was extra careful with measuring and baking times so I can pass this on to you, as a way to thank you for following my blog and for your support :) December marks my blog's second birthday.

                                                JOANNA'S    MELOMAKARONA

1.   1 1/2  CUPS OIL  ( 1CUP CORN OIL 1/2 CUP OLIVE OIL)
2.   1/2    CUP  SHORTENING
3.   1 CUP SUGAR
4.   3/4 CUP ORANGE JUICE
5.   1/4  CUP  BRANDY COGNAC
6.   2TBS.  ORANGE  PEEL
7.   2 TSP   BAKING POWDER
8.   1 TSP  BAKING SODA
9.    6.5  CUPS  FLOUR
10.   1.5 TBS  GROUND CINAMMON AND GR. CLOVES 
11.    1/2  CUP   FINELY  GROUND WALNUTS


Beat first 6 ingredients on high speed  for about 7minutes. Slowly add flour, baking soda, baking powder,cinnamon and clove mixt. one cup at a time and knead for about 7 min. Do not over knead, the mixture has to be soft.  Take about 1 1/2 tbs of mixture and shape into oval shapes. Place onto baking pan, one inch apart. Don't use flat baking sheets. You will probably need about two large pans and one small one.

Press down with a fork to make criss cross design on top of cookies.  Bake in preheated oven 350 degrees for 30- 35 min. The cookies will turn dark golden brown.

                                         SYRUP
2 CUPS    HONEY
2 CUPS   SUGAR
1 CUP   WATER
1  CINAMMON STICK


In a medium size sauce pan, on medium heat, boil all ingredients for 5 min. Skim off any froth. Please
do not leave unattended! clean up is messy if it over boils :(   turn off burner and keep pan syrup hot.

As soon as the cookies are done, take the ones from the small pan and place in larger baking pan.( I do this so I don't waste the syrup) 
With a soup ladle, pour syrup over each cookie slowly. Do this twice. Let the cookies sit in the syrup for a couple of hours or more. That way the cookies absorb most of the syrup. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts.   Makes about 64. 

I'd love to hear how you liked them:)
Happy Holidays!!
xoxo

7 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Would love to try these but I'll have to wait until things calm down some. Thank you for share such a delicious recipe! Happy Holidays!
    Jessi xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look good! Happy blogaversary and hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful. Congratulations on your anniversary. Look forward to many more blogs from the bower bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look gorgeous. I am wondering if it would be wise to make them?? I might eat them all! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks yummy!
    + so is your art/
    i just included one
    of your pieces in an
    etsy treasury

    http://www.etsy.com/treasury/OTExNzYyMHwxNTY1NTc5NDI4/im-in-an-elephant-mood

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookies with Brandy........oh wow am sure I will love them. Wishing you a very Happy Christmas Joanna, x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am drinking coffee out of your cup right now!
    WOW - those look AMAZ-ing and the pictures below are just stunning! Your daughter is so beautiful (no surprise there ;) and I LOVE those ornaments!
    I hope you have a wonderful and very Merry Christmas my friend! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate every comment you leave me. Thank you for your support!