Thursday, January 7, 2010

My passion for textiles






I was very fortunate as a child to grow up surrounded by art and textiles. Both sides of my family would knit, embroider and weave their own cloth, so it was only natural of me to follow in their footsteps. I'm proud to say that I'm a fifth generation self taught weaver!


I became so obsessed with weaving and dyeing my own cloth, that I would hardly sleep! Of course there was a price to pay since weaving is one of the most labor intensive crafts and hard on ones body, that after twenty something years of weaving,  I developed and had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome... so that was part decision I had to make in taking a long break in weaving.

A few years ago I began teaching workshops on shibori, marbling and silk painting, here in Athens. I was preparing to teach a class on printing on cloth and paper and that's how I got into a new direction with my work. Instead of cloth I started experimenting on paper and canvas. So here I am!!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanna
    I loved seeing these. I wondered what kind of textile art you had done, as that has been my main medium until the last year when I discovered art journals. Very nice shibori work.
    I was a weavers apprentice for a short time, my job was to wind the warps--Being math challenged, I always lost track of the count!-luckily she did abstract work and it didn't matter all that much--then I did weave a small placemat once--it was hard on the lower back! Very nice work you did!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate every comment you leave me. Thank you for your support!